Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Spilling on... Art


"San Gennaro" by Louis Finson



Made from 1610-12
Painting type: Oil on canvas

DESCRIPTION
The painting, of Flemish origins, depicts what looks like a bishop, dressed in traditional clothing, gesturing to a dead human head laying on the table in front of him. The bishopis wearing white robes, a brown cape, and a gold mitre (the bishop hat). The human head has a dark, strange, and spiky looking object sticking out from its neck. It's identity is unknown. On the table are two bottles of unknown liquids.

TIME
The painting must have been made during the Renaissance (as the dates suggest). During this time, the Catholic Church still held a monopoly over society. However, new ideas were forming that challenged the Church's very principles as well as its power. This particular painting possibly shows the head of a man who dared to challenge the church and makes a religious and political statement: Nobody messes with the Catholic Church.

FEELINGS
This painting caught my eye upon first glance. It's shocking depiction of a human head could only make me wonder "why?" I was quite taken aback that the head was lying on the table nonchalantly. In addition, the smug look on the preacher's face disturbed me because he seemed to have no regard for the dead person's head. I felt like his expression dehumanized the person and gestured, hands open, towards the head as if it was a pitiful. In addition, I felt that the bishop was presenting the head as an example of "what could happen to you if you don't..." The bishop's tilted head and cold, condescending expression reveal that the he is in no which way sorry for the dead man and his family and is asserting the wavering power that the Catholic Church has over society.

THE ARTIST
The artist, Louis Finson, has been known for religious-themed paintings which were on high demand for the wealthy. His actual views on religion are unknown given there is not a lot of information available on his life. His most well known painting is the Allegory of the Elements (1611) which depicts four naked people, male and female, tangled and struggling.

POSSIBLE MEANING
Whether or not Louis Finson sided with the church is unknown based on his skimpy biographies. However, the painting works as a warning to those who do not align with the church. Finson could speak on the Church's side and claim that the institution is ultimate and nobody should dare challenge it's power or else this (the dead human head) could happen to you too.

On the other hand, Finson may protest the Church's authority by showing the bishop's callous regard for those who fail to accept the institution. It could be a sign to those not in favor of the Church's rule to rebel, seeing what has happened to the dead man.

MY VISIT TO THE MUSEUM
The Palmer museum was quite a relaxing place to be because the walls were painted with nice, cool, colors which let the artwork speak for itself. Personally, I am not a huge fan of paintings. It's not that I don't like, but I haven't come to understand the true meanings behind many pieces of art. I tend to visit museums with artifacts from the past. I wasn't particularly inspired by the artwork at Palmer, so, I probably won't go back. Most of the works were nice to look at, but I couldn't take away much in the end. I guess
I'm kind of biased since I lived right outside of Washington, D.C. for 6 years, so, I got to experience the many wonderful museums that city had to offer. The Newseum was my favorite by far. If you get the chance to visit DC, I totally recommend going there! It's a true experience.
 CHECK IT OUT - Newseum website

2 comments:

  1. I too thought this painting was interesting. I agree with everything you said when talking about the consequences of going against the church and how the bishop has no compassion towards the blatant head lying on the table. I also think that the bishop's expression sends somewhat of a challenging message. The combination of the head on the table, his open hands making a shrugging notion, and his facial expression, initiates a challenge. He's daring anyone who dares to try and test the power and force of the Catholic church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your analysis of the painting stating that it was warning people who do not align with the church. I probably wouldve never guessed that. I wouldve interpreted as it showing the corruptness of the Catholic church during that time era. Overall I agree with your analysis and I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete